This year in May, I went to Super Comic City during one of Japan’s biggest holiday weekends, Golden Week. So, if your trip is around early May and/or during Golden Week, you’re in luck! You can have the chance to attend Super Comic City!
Note: Super Comic City is a convention aimed towards anime/manga/game lovers, though I noticed that most of the people that attended were girls! There were also guys, but a lot of girls. A lot of the booth/table participants were female and a good amount of products are tailored to a female audience, but guys, don’t let that stop you attending!
What exactly is Super Comic City?
Super Comic City is a convention that features various popular anime, manga, doujinshi (original fanmade comics), and game series! You can find merchandise for everything from older shows (like Yu-Gi-Oh! and Jojo’s Bizarre Adventure) to newer ones (like Attack on Titan and Yuri On Ice!!).
The convention is held at Tokyo Big Sight, also known as the Tokyo International Exhibition Center, for a span of two days. Both the west and east halls are used, meaning there’s lots to do, see, and buy! Oh, there’s a lot of walking to do and photos to take, so don’t forget to bring comfortable shoes and a camera.
How do I get a ticket?
The pamphlet is basically a catalogue for the entire convention, containing maps, table charts, and which/where merchandise is available. It also contains rules/guidelines that you should follow when entering the convention. For example, when and where you can take pictures, etc. You are also asked to show the pamphlet to staff when entering or exiting certain halls.
IF you are in Japan beforehand (about 2 weeks before Golden Week), you could also buy the pamphlet in advance at almost any [anime/manga] bookstore! One of the most popular places to go for a pamphlet is Animate as well as K-books. However, these sell out fast! However, getting it on the day of the event is actually a little cheaper. If you want to absolutely be sure that you can get a pamphlet, be ready to head out to your nearest Animate/K-books/bookstore to get it on the day sales start!
How do I get there?
How much is it?
What to bring:
- Your pamphlet (if pre-bought, DO NOT FORGET IT. You will have to buy another one at the entrance if you do! )
- Money (Don't forget your wallet either~!)
- A bag to carry your goodies!
- There is surprisingly a lot of CHEAP merchandise here! Doujinshis can range from 200 – 1000 yen, and only a little bit higher. If you plan on buying a bunch of merchandise, I recommend bringing a small luggage bag (the standard size carry-on bag)! I saw a majority of people doing this when I attended, and it was really smart of them (seeing as some of them bought pounds and pounds of doujins!)
- Water / comfortable shoes
- There’s a huge cosplay hall where there are cosplayers everywhere in literally almost every anime/manga/game that is featured in the convention for that day. They dressed up to have fun and take a bunch of photos, so don’t be shy to ask! If you can’t speak Japanese, you can always show your phone/camera or do a photo-taking gesture.
- Many of the cosplayers also have twitter accounts, so you can see their cosplayer activities from there too! Most of the time, they’ll be glad to give you their card with their twitter account names on it.